updates all information about diamond jewelry, charms, antique jewelry, silver, birthstone jewelry, wedding, jewelry supplier.
Home Get Listed Here  

Archive for December 28th, 2014

Tips on Buying a Silver Necklace

Sunday, December 28th, 2014

If you are thinking about what to buy your loved one as a gift for a special occasion, you should look at the option of purchasing a lovely single silver necklace. This is a beautiful piece of jewelry that will look gorgeous at any time of the year.

What is sterling silver? Sterling silver contains the maximum amount of silver that can go into making a piece of jewelry, that is, 92.5%. The rest (7.5%) is copper. This ratio is important because copper provides the strength needed to maintain the shape. Pure silver (100% silver) is too soft and needs to be reinforced with copper. Authentic 925 silver will have the mark ‘925’ or ‘SS’ embedded on it. If the stamp is not there, you can be sure that what you’re holding is an imitation or a silver plated piece of jewelry.

Silver necklaces come in many styles, with many of them featuring embedded gemstones or ornamental designs. Turquoise, black agate or lapis lazuli greatly enhance the beauty of a silver necklace. The choker is a special type of necklace, consisting of a single or more bands fitted closely around the neck. While some chokers are rigid, other are made of flexible strands of silver or even exhibit a small pendant. The designs are too many to enumerate and the possible looks you can achieve are vast. When using necklaces try to coordinate them with other accessories an always select a design that accentuates the contours of the neckline.

Chain and necklaces in the silver industry come in standard lengths for both men and women in 2″ increments. The chains will usually fall at a specific place on the chest depending on the gender of the user. The standard necklace sizes for women start at 16″ (choker length) and reach up to 24″ to fall below the neckline. The standard necklace sizes for men start at 18″ and reach up to 24″ to fall above the sternum. You must measure your neck in order to find the appropriate chain length for you. Wrap a soft measuring tape around your neck at the collarbone and note the number. For men this measurement is exactly the same as their shirt collar size. It is very important to note than when selecting a silver necklace or chain you must choose at minimum the second size up.

Of course, always buying the same length of necklace would be completely boring. Choose the length you see fit based on design and the look you aim to achieve, depending on the occasion and season. A long necklace goes well with a turtleneck shirt in winter, while a choker will look good with a v neckline shirt or dress. Remember that the longer the necklace the more expensive it is, so you might consider other alternatives such a silver plate if you’re on a tight budget.

Pairing the right silver necklace with an appropriate outfit will surely enhance the aspect of any woman. When buying a silver necklace or chain consider your neck size, the thickness and shape of the chain links, the type of outfits and occasions that you have in mind for it and you should be ready to look your best.

In search of the perfect necklace? At MonogramFashion, you can find the best idea for a personalized gift for someone you love, and for any occasion.